Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Chiaroscuro

I will never forget my college professor John Wade who taught me a great foundation for art and design. One of the very important techniques I learned from him was Chiaroscuro (pronounced "kee-ahr-uh-skyoor-oh"). I remember him walking around the classroom in Drawing 101 and repeating that we should draw not in lines, but in volumes: in lights and shadows. The bold contrasts between light and dark help artists to achieve a great sense of volume on paper or canvas.

When it comes to my makeup I apply similar theory to putting on an eye shadow. I stand in front of my mirror and add color in volumes, not in lines. The only problem - after a few hours it disappears. It melts into the creases of my eyelids leaving almost no trace. I try different priming solutions and products, some better than others. After a long journey I finally find the answer:

Eyeshadow Primer Potion

As I stand in front of my mirror my eye shadow goes on: light and dark. It lasts for hours and makes my eye shadows stay in place. After an entire day of wearing my favorite color it still looks brilliant at night: no touch-ups required!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...